Remember the days that we stuffed our bras full of tissues to give the appearance of fuller cups? Well over the decades they have decided to just incorporate the same idea into the bra, creating the push up bra. However, these bras have earned themselves a reputation of not being comfortable due to rigid wires, firm cups, and tight straps. Not all push up bras are uncomfortable, but they also aren’t the best fit for everyone to wear everyday. Let’s take a deeper look at push up bras and see if they might be a good fit for you!
Table of Contents
What is a Push Up Bra?
A push-up bra is a type of bra that features padding, typically in the cups, to lift and enhance the cleavage, creating a more dramatic and youthful appearance. They often have underwire to help support and shape the bust, and may have adjustable straps for a custom fit.
Push-up bras are a popular lingerie item, often worn for special occasions or to add a boost to a low-cut dress or blouse. The amount of padding can vary between styles and brands, with some offering a subtle lift, while others have significant padding for a more dramatic effect. I’m sure you’ve heard of the “add 2 cup sizes” tag line. T
hey are designed to create the illusion of fuller, more lifted breasts, and are often favored by women with smaller busts. However, it’s important to choose the right push-up bra for your body type and size, as an ill-fitting bra can be uncomfortable and unflattering. While you never need to alter the look of your body to be confident or beautiful, some women find that when they put on a push up bra it not only gives their breasts a boost but their confidence as well.
What to Look for in a Push Up Bra
When shopping for a push-up bra, here are some things to consider:
- Size: Make sure to get measured and choose a size that fits your bust well. Look for a bra with cups that are snug and don’t gap or spill over. While push up bras are made to make your breasts look bigger, the size of your push up bra should be the same as your regular bra size.
- Padding: The amount of padding can vary, so choose the level of lift that you’re comfortable with. Some push-up bras have removable padding for customizable cleavage. There are bras that lightly lift, and there are bras that make a VERY dramatic difference. It may be helpful to try on a few under clothing to see the amount of push up you like.
- Band: The band should be snug but not too tight. Look for a band with good support and one that doesn’t ride up in the back. The fit of band of a push up bra should be similar to the band of any other good bra, not too tight or uncomfortable in any way.
- Straps: Adjustable straps will help ensure a custom fit and added support.
- Style: Push-up bras come in a variety of styles, such as balconette, plunge, and T-shirt. Choose the style that best compliments your outfit and provides the right level of coverage and support.
- Quality: Look for a push-up bra that is well-made, with sturdy construction and high-quality materials, for long-lasting comfort and support. A low quality push up bra can have wires that are not well sewn in and can be extremely uncomfortable.
When to Wear a Push Up Bra
A push-up bra can be worn whenever you want to enhance your cleavage and create a more youthful appearance. It is often worn for special occasions, such as a night out, a wedding, or a formal event, when you want to feel confident and glamorous. They are also ideal for wearing with low-cut tops, dresses, and blouses, as they provide added lift and support. Additionally, push-up bras can be worn for everyday use, providing a subtle boost to your natural curves and creating a flattering silhouette. It’s important to choose a push-up bra that fits well, is comfortable, and provides the right level of support for your needs.
While the idea of just putting on a bra and instantly increasing your breast side can seem extremely appealing. There are absolutely potential downsides to a bra as structured as a push up bra.
- Comfort: Some push-up bras can be uncomfortable, especially if they are too tight or have too much padding. It’s important to choose a push-up bra that fits well and is made of breathable, comfortable materials.
- Unnatural appearance: Overly padded push-up bras can create an unnatural look, especially if the padding is too thick or the cleavage is too exaggerated. If the bra doesn’t fit properly, the padding can be in unnatural position against the breast creating a very fake look.
- Can limit wardrobe options: Some styles of push-up bras are not suitable for all outfits and may be visible under certain clothing, limiting your wardrobe options.
- Unreliable: Push-up bras can sometimes be unreliable, especially if the padding compresses over time, leading to a loss of lift and support.
- Maintenance: Push-up bras require proper care and maintenance to keep the padding in place and to maintain their shape and appearance. If they are not cared for properly, all of the extra padding will quickly lose its lift.
The idea of a push up bra can be daunting and intimidating to some, while other women have been wearing them for years. They can be a great tool for special occasions, or something you like to wear daily. The bottom line is that they can help accentuate your figure while still being comfortable if you find the right one.
If the idea of making your breasts look lifted and larger isn’t a goal of yours, check out other styles of bras here.